August Update

Friends of Bedminster Library
This group is meeting again on Tuesday 13th August at 7pm. Please do come along if you are interested in promoting the library, fundraising for important improvements and planning more events and activities at the library. Please email to share any ideas or thoughts.

You can see the ideas that were collected by the Council about the library service here .

Bristol: Going For Gold 
This is a Bristol-wide bid to be recognised as a Gold Sustainable Food City. Sustainable Food Cities is a national programme that celebrates and supports communities that are making positive changes to their food system. As one of the first three cities to achieve Silver status, Bristol has already shown that it has the motivation to make Good Food part of the city’s identity. Now, individuals, organisations and policy makers are joining together to make big and lasting improvements across six key Food Action Areas. See here to discover how you or your organisation can play a part in this major leap towards making food that is good for people, the planet and the city accessible to everyone.

Secret Gardens funding

You may have visited Bedminster’s Secret Gardens in June.  Despite a lot of rain, these open days raised a fantastic £1,600 from donations. The organisers are using the money to give small grants to local projects, with a particular focus on young people and intergenerational work. If you are a part of a group which wants to do something to make our community greener and more sustainable, you can apply for a grant of up to £200 to help. Your group must be working in the Greater Bedminster area and the deadline for applications is 1st September. For more details and an application form, please email or pick up an application form from the Southville Centre. 

Western Harbour Development

You may have seen the coverage about this development in the local media. The consultation opens on 19th August and will run for 4 weeks. You can see more about that here. You can also see more information about the development on the Neighbourhood Planning Network site here . BS3 Planning Group will be following this closely and keeping people informed via their Facebook page. You can also email to be added to the mailing list for updates.

June Update

AGB Steering Group
The members of the Steering Group elected at our AGM can be found on our website here. We have changed our structure slightly with the Steering Group meeting quarterly and a working group meeting more often (at least monthly).  

Friends of Bedminster Library
This group is meeting for the first time on Wednesday 26th June at 7.30pm. Please do come along if you are interested in promoting the library, fundraising for important improvements and planning more events and activities at the library. Please email to share any ideas or thought.

Ben Barker has organised some informal meetings for those involved in local groups or organisations to share experience, knowledge, compare notes etc and generally get to know more about who is doing what in our neighbourhood. The informals are at the Tobacco Factory on: Tuesday, 16 July at 12.30; Tuesday, 30 July at 7.30pm; Wednesday, 14 August at 12.30; Thursday, 19 September at 12.30.

Bedminster Energy Group have organised ‘Green Drinks’ in the evening on Tuesday June 25 at 7.30pm. More info here.

BS3 Helping Others are in the Tobacco Factory every Tuesday 10.30am-12. Drop in to find out about volunteering opportunities or check the online directory of volunteering opportunities here

We met with Hannah Tweddle, Engaged Learning Co-ordinator at Bristol University, about students on course needing projects to work on. She sent the information documents their our Geography, Environmental Policy and Management & NGO business planning opportunities. They are all complete for this current academic year but will reopen for applications around the same time in 2019. If you are interested in any of them please contact We are meeting their student volunteer co-ordinator soon. 

We are keeping in touch with the council on Bedminster Green and will be holding open meetings on the transport options and (hopefully) community use.

BS3 Planning are looking for someone to give some admin support – please email if you are interested.

As ever, please get in touch with any thoughts or ideas, or if you’d like to be involved in any way. We’re particularly keen to hear from anyone interested in helping with the secretary role, communications/social media/website updates. 

Look out for North Street in the Channel4 programme, War on Waste, on Monday 24th at 9pm… We are also hoping to build on the work BS3 Waste free group and share details about recycling and waste, as well as organise a trip to the recycling processing centre. 

May update

Friends of Bedminster Library
This group is slowly growing. We are hoping to spread the word to involve more people and gather more ideas, so please help us! You can email and/or join the BS3 Library Facebook group.

CIL update
The project proposals have all been collated and are being looked at by councillors at the moment. The amount being asked for is more than twice what is available so there will be some difficult decisions being made. We will update you as we know more. 

Ben Barker has organised some informal meetings for those involved in local groups or organisations to share experience, knowledge, compare notes etc and generally get to know more about who is doing what in our neighbourhood. The daytime informals are at the Tobacco Factory cafe on Wednesdays 12.30-1.30pm, May 15th and June 25th.

Bedminster Energy Group (BEG) have organised ‘Green Drinks’  in the evening on Tuesday: May 24, June 25 and July 30 from 7.30pm in The Snug at the Tobacco Factory.  More info here.

BEG also have informal meet-ups for those interested in volunteering on the first Tues of the month 7:30-9:30pm at a local pub (changes according to who is chairing and where they fancy!). The next one is 7th May.

BS3 Helping Others are in the Tobacco Factory every Tuesday 10.30am -12noon. Drop in to find out about volunteering opportunities. In partnership with BS3 Community, there is now an online directory of volunteering opportunities here

Ashton Gate Stadium are planning a public consultation in September and we will keep you updated as we hear more.

The Local Plan consultation finishes on 24th May. More information here . Please do have your say on this as it will inform the many developments we are seeing in our area. 

We are keeping in touch with the council on Bedminster Green and should have an update by the end of the month. 

Clean Air
We have had a few meetings around this recently and as a result are hoping to support some school streets (temporary closures around schools at drop-off and pick-up). There will be more developments in this area, including plans for events on Clean Air Day, 20th June. If you’d like to get involved, please email us. 

Reducing plastic and waste
This is a topic we know people are increasingly passionate about. The BS3 Waste Free group is getting bigger and sharing more and more information. AGB will continue to work with them and help develop resources. Please do get in touch if you’d like to be involved. 

Let’s Walk Bedminster, Bedminster Friendly Shops and All Age Friendly Neighbourhood
These projects are all looking at making our neighbourhood one where everyone should be able to walk around safely, easily and with pleasure. This involves working with shops and residents and thinking about air pollution, litter, obstacles on pavements, and improving accessibility. There is great progress being made looking at shopping routes, street wardens, dementia training and much more. If you’re interested in getting involved, please let us know. 

As ever, please get in touch with any thoughts or ideas, or if you’d like to be involved in any way. We’re particularly keen to hear from anyone interested in helping with the secretary role, communications/social media/website updates. 

March update

Action Greater Bedminster Annual General Meeting
The AGM will be on Wednesday 27th March at 7pm at acta,  Gladstone St, Bristol BS3 3AY.

The current committee includes the four local councillors, representatives from member organisations and local residents. We are an enthusiastic group of volunteers who are working together to improve or neighbourhood by listening to local residents, working with local organisations and businesses and sharing information about issues that affect our area. We meet regularly, run events, support local groups and projects. We’d welcome new members to take AGB forward during what will be a time of change and opportunity for our neighbourhood. If you would like to be on the committee, please do get in touch. 

We hope to see you at the meeting. We will be consulting members on a slight change to our structure to have an executive group that meets regularly, perhaps once a month, ad steering group that meets less often. We will also be looking at our draft community vision and manifesto.  

Recycling and waste – myth busting and information sharing
This is a free meeting, on Thursday 14th March at Windmill HIll City Farm cafe, with Ed Troughton from Bristol Waste and Stacey and Lidia from Zero Green. We will be looking at how much rubbish we collect, benefits of recycling, what happens to it all, and busting some recycling myths as well as exploring how we can reduce our use of plastic, and our waste in general. 

The cafe will be open, serving hot and cold drinks and snacks. You can book here .

Clean Air
We had a very interesting meeting about what we could do in our own neighbourhood and what else is happening across the city. Initial thoughts were around school streets, improving monitoring, ways of sharing information and possible funding. We hope this group will continue to meet and take things forward. if you would like to be involved, please sign up to the mailing list here.

Friends of Bedminster Libary
The inaugural meeting of this group is on Thursday 21st March at 7pm at Bedminster Library. If you can’t come but are interested in being involved, please get in touch. If you have any thoughts or ideas about what a friends group could do, please let us know. 

Friends of Bedminster Libary
The inaugural meeting of this group is on Thursday 21st March at 7pm at Bedminster Library. If you can’t come but are interested in being involved, please get in touch. If you have any thoughts or ideas about what a friends group could do, please let us know. 


Action Greater Bedminster Annual General Meeting
The AGM will be on Wednesday 27th March at 7pm at acta, Gladstone Street, BS3 3AY.

It is a public meeting but only members will be able to vote. If you are part of an organisation that isn’t yet a member but would like to become one, you can fill in the form here. 

The draft agenda is:

  1. Welcome and apologies
  2. New Constitution 
  3. Current Board stand down
  4. Executive Committee elected 
  5. Discussion of CIL ‘long list’
  6. Formal meeting closes, time for informal networking

If you are interested in any of the positions on the committee, please read the roles and fill in the nomination form here by Friday 15th March and email it to If you have any questions or would like a chat with a current committee member, please let us know.  We are proposing a revised constitution that will allow for a smaller, working group of committee members to make decisions day-to-day and meet at least monthly, with a wider committee meeting less frequently.

Action Greater Bedminster Community Vision
Our survey will close on Sunday 17th February 2019. It is incredibly useful for us to see what is important to you. This gives us some direction for our next phase of work and will feed into processes such as CIL. The survey takes less than five minutes to complete and is here . Please do complete it if you haven’t already. We are hoping to draft a high level community vision for discussion at the AGM.

There are a lot of development happening in our area and it is hard to keep up with them all. We will be discussing this more but if you want to find out more about planning, you can join the BS3 Planning group on facebook or email to join the mailing list. The group meets once a month on a Tuesday evening. AGB are hoping to present a draft ‘manifesto’ for the area at our AGM that will highlight the thoughts that came out of the Bedminster Green meeting about what residents would like to see in terms of development. We are also in discussion with the council about how to improve awareness and dialogue around planning. 

January update

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) 2019/20
AGB is the community space organisation for our area for 2019 CIL and section 106 funding. We are hosting a meeting on Monday 11th February at 7.30pm, the Jasper Room, the Chessel Centre to discuss initial projects that could potentially be funded with CIL money. This meeting is open to anyone who is interested in how this funding could be used or has an idea for a project. There is more information about this process here  and we will be sending out updates. This is a key opportunity to make changes in our neighbourhood.

What is CIL?
The Community Infrastructure Levy is a planning charge made by local authorities in England and Wales to help deliver infrastructure to support the development of their area.  Most new development which creates net additional floor space of 100 square metres or more, or creates a new dwelling, is potentially liable for the levy. The charging authority is required to devolve a meaningful proportion of CIL to local communities. The two wards of Bedminster and Southville will receive 15% of the funds resulting from development in their neighbourhood.

What is S106?
S106 enables local authorities to require developers to set aside monies to mitigate the impact of their development.  Unspecified local S106 schemes, where the details of the mitigation and/or the specific location is not determined in the S106 agreement – although the general sort of work is – e.g. ‘park improvements’ or ‘improvements to public transport facilities’ – require Area Committee to come to a decision following public  consultation.

What can CIL and S106 pay for?
CIL can only be used to support the development of the local area by funding the provision, improvement, replacement, operation or maintenance of infrastructure; or anything else that is concerned with addressing the demands that development places on an area.  Local devolved S106 money can only be used as set out in the S106 legal agreement between BCC and the developer.

Library conversations 
The Councils are consulting about how we use libraries. More information about that here. There are two meetings looking at our local libraries on 26th February and 2nd March. You can book here .

Local groups needing volunteers
BS3 Community is looking at how to make our area an all age friendly neighbourhood. As part of this project, Ben Barker is looking for volunteers to join:
– BS3 Street Wardens
– Bedminster Access Group (BAG) This is a group composed of people experienced in moving around the BS3 area with a disability that can act as advisors to projects.  
– Friendly Neighbourhood Social Media Group. A small group using social media to promote the idea of an age friendly community during 2019.

If you are interested in finding out more, please email Ben 

Bedminster Green

Bedminster Green is a six hectare site covering an area which includes St Catherine’s Place and the train station, and  from Malago road/St John’s Lane to Clarke Street with between 1,000 and 1,500 new homes. The framework document for Bedminster Green has been commissioned by the developers and has been drafted by Nash Consulting.The framework consultation can be found here: responses need to be received by midnight on Sunday 13th January. We encourage residents, organisations and businesses to respond to the framework which will have a role in the planning process for this large and complex development. Bedminster Green will have an impact on the whole area, and is just one of many new developments due to be built in our neighbourhood. AGB’s Community Conversation on 8th January brought together community groups and local residents with council officers to look at the draft framework in depth to help everyone make an informed and considered response.

We hope the meeting gave attendees a chance to understand the nature of the development and the framework document, the role the council and planning committee play in the planning process and to consider the fears and hopes they have for the development. 

The session was chaired by Paul Hassan from Locality and hosted by Windmill Hill City Farm. There was a question and answer session with Councillor Nicola Beech, Cabinet Member with responsibility for Spatial Planning and City Design, Councillor Stephen Clarke who sits on one of the planning committees, Neil Sellers from BS3 Planning, Nick Townsend from Windmill Hill and Malago Community Planning Group and Stef Brammar from AGB who sits on the Bedminster Business Improvement District Board. The discussion brought out a number of questions and concerns, many of which were around the timing and nature of the framework and its consultation, the height, density and make up of the blocks on the development (one site will be primarily student flats, another rental properties and the majority are one or two bedroom apartments). Detailed notes from this discussion have been passed on to Cllr Nicola Beech and will be sent to Nash Consulting as part of the response to the consultation.

The workshop session asked attendees to look at priorities for four different aspects of the framework: the nature of the new housing (capacity, affordability, fit, public spaces); community infrastructure needs; accessibility, navigation and transport; leisure and business opportunities. These notes are here. Again, concern was raised over the proposed heights and density of the builds, and the nature of the development as a whole. There was hope that the developers would look at how to create an environment that generated a sense of community, had good green and public spaces and opportunities for local businesses. The impact on local infrastructure, traffic flow and East Street is not yet clear, both during the build and in the longer term.

AGB is not forming its own opinion of the development but will continue to work with local councillors, council officers, community organisations and residents to share information and give opportunities for your voice to be heard. We aim to draft a manifesto for Bedminster Green that will reflect the community’s priorities for it, and develop that into a wider document that can be used in future discussions with developers and the council. 

December update

St Paul’s Churchyard
The church hosted a discussion about the issues around the churchyard. The church is looking at preventative measures such as lighting and CCTV but is also keen to explore ways of making the churchyard more of a community space. If you are interested in finding out more or getting involved, there is a meeting on 12th January at 10am at St Paul’s church. You can also email

Bedminster Business Improvement District
We held a joint meeting with the BBID team looking at the future of our shops. There was a lot of discussion about the challenges in keeping high streets relevant and sustainable. We hope to do more joint working and will let you know of developments.

The Bristol Libraries Forum was created on 15th November. The Forum’s principal aim is to protect and enhance the Library Service across Bristol and the Forum wants to play a full part in any review of the future of Bristol’s libraries. AGB would like to support the creation of a Friends of Bedminster Library group, which would be part of the Forum. If you are interested in finding out more please email us at or Lloyd on

Walking in our neighbourhood

Let’s Walk Bedminster aims to make it safe, easy and pleasant for everyone walking around the area including those using aids such as wheelchairs and mobility scooters. We know footways are often in poor repair and blocked by recycling bins, cars and other obstacles.The project is looking at practical solutions with BS3 Street Wardens, the Bedminster Access Group and Bedminster Patchwork Group. For more information and how you can help email and head your message ‘Let’s Walk Bedminster’.

Other projects
We are getting a group together looking at how we can improve our recycling, reduce plastic use and better manage our waste and litter. This may involve working with schools, businesses and other organisations. We are hoping to do an information sharing campaign in the Spring, with an evening event, a family friendly workshop and some infographics to share. Again, please let us know if you are interested in getting involved.

AGB is bringing together local organisations to look at creating more youth club sessions locally.

The AGB community consultation is here
Local councillors’ parking survey is here
Bristol City Council surveys on childcare, the 19/20 budget and licences for HMOs are here


AGB has been involved in discussions around the Bedminster Green development and the expansion of Ashton Gate Stadium. Bedminster Green has four developers across five sites. A framework plan is being drafted, which is available on the consultants’ website from 10th December to 13th January as part of the formal consultation.  You can see the latest state of applications on the Windmill Hill and Malago Community Planning Group website. AGB will be hosting Developing a “Bedminster Green” Manifesto, with people, place and prosperity at its heart on 8th January, 6pm-9pmat Windmill Hill City Farm. You can book your space here.

The agenda for this event is here .

Ashton Gate Stadium’s plans include a Sports & Convention Centre, a multi-storey carpark, housing, offices and two hotels. They are exploring the possibility of having a MetroBus stop closer to the stadium, a train station and a bus layby area. The proposals also include plans for housing on a second site between Ashton Vale and the Long Ashton Park & Ride. You can see more detail here.  AGB, BS3 Community, BS3 Planning and Friends of Ashton Gate Station have discussed the plans with Ashton Gate and we encourage residents to comment.  

Air Pollution

We have held three events on this subject now and have learnt so much about what happens in the air around us in the city including:

  • The legal limit of NO2 in the air is 40 μg/m3 as an annual mean (i.e. measured across a year).
  • Currently, some sites in Bristol experience NO2 levels up to 90µg/m3.
  • There are two sites with very high levels in Bristol – on St Augustines parade in the cetnre and Parson Street in BS3.
  • More than 5 deaths a week in Bristol linked to air pollution
  • Diesel vehicles are responsible for 96% of NO2 emissions in Bristol
  • Air pollution costs the UK £54 billion a year in illness and deaths.

Here is Dr Corra Boushel’s presentation in case you missed it, which has more details about air pollution in Bristol.

The Council are developing a Clean Air Plan which aims to bring the city’s pollution down to legal limits by 2021 (the target set by National government following the Client Earth action). Part of that plan involves the introduction of a Clean Air Zone, which may or may not include our neighbourhood. You can see the danger spots on the Clair city website and the options for making reductions (mainly relating to the Clean Air Zone) in the FAQ section of the Councils Clean Air website here.

There is more information out there, and other groups who are looking at this too, such as the Bristol Clean Air Alliance, Bristol Breathing Better and St George Breathing Better. There are other maps, like the one here showing the air pollution around GP surgeries and hospitals. Client Earth have created a Parents network and Bristol university is a partner in an interesting project called Life of Breath. More info on their website. 

We are keen to raise awareness of this topic even more, and to look at practical solutions in our area. This could mean working with the Council, the Bedminster Business Improvement District, Parks groups and other local organisations. It would be brilliant to talk to schools, GP surgeries, groups like Brownies and more. We are hoping to focus on this in the Spring but can’t do it on our own – ideally we’d like to create a group to take it forward. If you are interested in getting involved, please let us know by emailing